The disappointing truth about LuLaRoe clothing

The disappointing truth about LuLaRoe clothing

Do you own any LuLaroe?

If not, let me briefly explain what this company is and does. Essentially, LuLaroe is best known for making incredibly soft and comfortable leggings in a variety of fun, unique and creative patterns. Additionally, they make comfortable shirts, dresses and kimonos that can be mix and matched to create comfortable yet put together looks for women.

Roughly six months ago, I was in the market for a few new pieces of clothing. A few of my tights were badly frayed and as a result I was in desperate need of new pants that were both comfortable and appropriate to venture out in. I especially love wearing tights because they feel less constricting than jeans and most of the time wearing a long shirt over top makes for a cute outfit that is perfectly acceptable to venture to the grocery store or play group in.

Usually, we buy our clothes used. But, Mer had a Visa gift certificate that he’d won at a work raffle and after being invited to a LuLaroe pop up, Mer suggested I spend the money on myself.

I ended up spending it on LuLaroe leggings (I drank the koolaid unfortunately) which I now regret.

I wish I could recommend their clothing but I just can’t.

Not only did I spend a good chunk of change on these leggings but the quality is proving to be very sub-par.

In all, I owned 6 pairs of LuLaroe leggings, 1 Irma and 1 Randi.

Although these leggings are attractive, they do not hold up well when washed, fall down repeatedly throughout the day and most recently have started tearing despite washing them inside out and by hand as per manufacturer instructions. Additionally, there is a huge size discrepancy depending on where the leggings were produced. Apparently, I fit into leggings made in Vietnam but not China. One is far larger than the other making it impossible to know if the tights you think are your size will actually fit you correctly.

The shirts are equally disappointing. The Irma has piled horribly after only 4 hand washes. It’s gotten so bad that I cannot wear it out because it looks like something your average person would sleep in. At over 50$ (exchange & shipping included) I’m horribly disappointed by the lack of quality.

The Randi which looks something like a baseball shirt was ill fitting from the moment it arrived. One sleeve was longer than the other (I only noticed weeks later) and like the Irma it piled horribly as well. Unfortunately, I ordered this shirt in a dark color so the piles are incredibly visible which means I never wear it.

lulanope.jpg

It’s all very disappointing. I’m fully aware and realistic that clothing will experience a certain amount of wear and tear which is only normal. However, most clothing I buy which is likely mid-range quality will always last me well over 6 months if not a few years. After only 6 months of having purchased these pieces they are virtually unusable and certainly not appropriate for going out (one pair has developed a hole on the front thigh region). The pieces are now boxed up and I’m trying to decide if it’s even worth donating them since some of them are in such bad condition.

If you’re looking at purchasing LuLaroe I say save your money. It’s expensive and the quality is really terrible!

– Enjoyed this post? Please spread the word by kindly pinning it to pinterest! –

Do you own any LuLaroe? Love it?  Hate it?

1. March 15, 2017 / 7:49 am

Thanks for sharing this! I love leggings, especially now that I spend so much time on the floor with my baby. I hadn’t tried LuLaroe and will make sure not to! It is SO frustrating when you get new clothes and they immediately look worn out. My favorite leggings are randomly just some I got on Amazon that weren’t even expensive. Thanks for saving me some money!

• March 16, 2017 / 9:10 am

Yup I was so incredibly disappointed!

2. March 15, 2017 / 7:55 am

this makes me so sad! i am OBSESSED with lularoe. there was a big thing in the news headlines about a quality compromise at one of their manufacturing warehouses, but they are no longer working with that company. as for the sizing of Vietnam vs China: they cut their material from the exact same pattern in every single manufacturing warehouse, the reason some fit better than others is because they cut them in a stack. so sometimes the ones at the top are a tighter cut than the ones at the bottom. I have yet to purchase a pair with holes, tears, wear, anything. I have 1 dress that has pilled, but i think i had mixed in a few items into the wash that didn’t particularly belong with my nice, soft fabrics.
    I have about 17 pairs of leggings, 7 irmas, 1 randy, 4 carly’s, a nicole, and a sarah. some of my older pairs have a few strings hanging on the inside, but i wear them weekly- so they’ve had some good use already.
    your consultant should damage your items out if they tear or pill as you say.
    🙁

i also should just put a disclaimer that i have not actually spent $1000 on these clothes, like the retail dollar would suggest- I’ve won at least 6 pairs of leggings and 5 shirts and have gotten huge discounts on 3 of the dresses i bought. My real total of spending is probably closer to $300.

• March 16, 2017 / 9:10 am

Wow! You’ve got quite a collection!

And, although I get the argument that they cut them in stack I don’t think it’s a good enough justification ya know? At the price they are charging per pair there should be more consistency or at least a disclaimer!

• March 16, 2017 / 10:11 am

i agree 100%. i have one pair in particular that falls off of me if i wear them, so i only wear them as PJs. It seems to me that if they realize that cutting them in stacks makes them different sizes, they should make their stacks a little smaller then!
        I do know that there’s been a lot of hub bub in the media about the holes that many have experienced- maybe their quality will improve now that they have ended their relationship with the factory that was producing those, too?

I wish you loved them. I play a lot of the event games and win stuff, plus got a few pieces for Christmas this year (which was pretty cool!). so it helps and makes it real fun just to win things, even if i dont wear them all haha!

• March 16, 2017 / 10:26 am

Yes exactly!! It’s just so disappointing when you order a size you think will fit and then they come and they are too big or too small.

Hopefully they’ll improve the quality moving forward!

3. March 15, 2017 / 9:03 am

Walmart leggings are soft, come in cute patterns, and wash up beautifully. They were under $6. Highly recommend. And you are not the first person I’ve heard from who has had a bad experience with LuLaRu. 😉

4. March 15, 2017 / 9:04 am

• March 16, 2017 / 9:06 am

Yes they do. I bought a perfect pair a few years ago (these are the ones that I had to sadly get rid of after years of wearing) and haven’t been able to find the same ones since!

5. March 15, 2017 / 9:05 am

Ugh, what a waste! I had been hearing about them, but I will now be sure to avoid them!

• March 16, 2017 / 9:05 am

Yeah I’m really not impressed.

6. March 15, 2017 / 9:17 am

Thanks for the warning! I’m always looking for that elusive perfect legging…

• March 16, 2017 / 9:05 am

My best pair were from Walmart for 9$ a few years ago. I haven’t been able to find them since.

7. March 15, 2017 / 9:39 am

I have a Perfect T that I like well enough, but I wear it with Danskin leggings and a Lands End sweater… I haven’t been wowed by LuLaRoe well enough to spend that kind of money on additional pieces. Your post confirms this is the right decision.

• March 16, 2017 / 9:02 am

I find it really expensive. If they lasted me years I wouldn’t be terribly opposed to investing but less than 6 months? Ridiculous!

8. March 15, 2017 / 9:39 am

I’ve never been a huge fan of the LLR style (my closet is mostly black/gray t-shirts lol!), but I see the appeal of the prints for some people. However, I’m seeing more and more reviews like yours 🙁 Rips, extremely poor quality materials, bad craftsmanship… And for such high prices! I’ve heard the reps are really great about “fixing” mishaps like this, but such rampant suckiness has cemented the fact that I’ll never put money into their company. I’m sorry you got a raw deal! I hope it can be worked out with an experienced rep.

• March 16, 2017 / 9:02 am

All my pieces are dark. Mostly black with very subtle patterns. Although visually some of the colored tights are cute I would just never wear them. I’m not that adventurous with my wardrobe 🙂

9. March 15, 2017 / 9:48 am

Thank you!!! I recently went to a pop up shop after waiting nearly a month. The only reason I didn’t leave with a huge haul was the poor customer service. I had been literally stalking the website looking at all the items I was interested in, but now you’ve saved me a ton of money.

• March 16, 2017 / 9:01 am

Buy with caution 🙂

10. March 15, 2017 / 9:54 am

Thanks for sharing! A few pop ups have started in my area and I was curious about them. If I do decide to purchase I will try them on before I buy for sure!

• March 16, 2017 / 9:01 am

I’d really inspect them to make sure there are no tiny holes in them. The leggings have patterns so it’s often difficult to see them.

11. March 15, 2017 / 9:55 am

I’ve had a similar experience, but with a maxi dress. I was really thrown off by the size, I got a medium and it fit me like a large. I washed it ONCE and you would have thought I dug it out of a bargain bin at a thrift store. It faded BADLY and pilled up, which never happens to my clothes. I know I’m not going to buy anything else from them.

• March 16, 2017 / 9:00 am

That sucks. Those dresses don’t come cheap either

12. March 15, 2017 / 12:34 pm

I’ve only heard bad things about it and I don’t like leggings anyway

• March 16, 2017 / 8:58 am

I wear them because they are easy and comfortable for my lifestyle. The quality just sucks though.

13. March 15, 2017 / 1:15 pm

Good to know. It’s all over the place, but when I looked at the website, I didn’t really like the look of any of it.

• March 16, 2017 / 8:57 am

The website isn’t even a good reflection of what they have. Every consultant has different prints. Mine are all dark with subtle prints because I’m not a fan of loud colors.

14. March 15, 2017 / 1:43 pm

I have a couple friends who swear by LuLaroe, I’ve never tried it, but I’ve recently read a lot of articles describing the same types of flaws that you have described here. I am not a fan of leggings right now because my butt looks funny in them (heeheehee) but once I lose some weight I feel like I would like them a lot more. Think I’ll be staying away from LuLaroe though, because I don’t like spending a lot of money on garbage! If I can get them cheaper AND they hold up better, I’m going with that option 🙂

• March 16, 2017 / 8:56 am

It’s really not worth the investment.

15. March 15, 2017 / 1:46 pm

Personally, I just don’t get the whole spending that much money on a shirt, or on leggings to begin with. $50! Wow, that would have fed my family for an entire month… seriously. I bought my leggings at walmart for all of $10.84, and they’ve lasted through repeated washing for over 4 years now and still look like new. I paid all of $3.22 on my shirt and I’ve had it for 17yrs and still looks new.

• March 16, 2017 / 8:55 am

I usually never spend this type of money. Actually, we buy most everything we can used but because we had a gift card I decided to invest in these pieces thinking they’d last me long-term so I’m so disappointed that I basically wasted money on this.

16. March 15, 2017 / 3:26 pm

Never tried it. Thanks for the review. 🙂

17. March 15, 2017 / 4:44 pm

Thank you for the review! I have considered buying them because I love wearing leggings as well. I’m so glad people can be honest when it comes to things like this. It helps me out a ton! Ahahaha

• March 16, 2017 / 8:52 am

My pleasure!

18. March 15, 2017 / 6:36 pm

Glad to hear someone else say it. I went to a party & bought one pair of leggings & the quality is not good. I’ve declined all other invites because of this. I’m at a phase of life where I need my clothes to last.

• March 16, 2017 / 8:51 am

Yup. I’m done with LLR. I’d rather spend my money on something that will hold up because part of my rationale was investing in pieces that would last me long-term which they clearly didn’t.

19. March 15, 2017 / 6:52 pm

I have a good collection of leggings (I’ve won at least two pairs), 2 irmas, a few t-shirts, & a maxi. Some items I wear mostly for work & others for leisure. Some leggings vary in how they fit & some shirts are piled a small bit, but nothing is falling apart. Sorry to hear your experience hasn’t been that great.

• March 16, 2017 / 8:51 am

It is what it is. I have a hard time believing that I just got really unlucky ya know?

20. March 15, 2017 / 9:22 pm

I have not been wowed by LLR. I have wanted to love it but i have had a similar experience. I just caved and bought a new pair of their leggings but I’m afraid to wash them now. I don’t know why I bothered 😅

• March 16, 2017 / 8:49 am

I made the mistake of buying all my items at the same time because I wanted to pay shipping once. Had I known, I would have used that gift card on something entirely different.

• March 16, 2017 / 11:14 am

How long has it been since you bought them? Do they have a warranty? I wonder if you could get even a partial refund?

• March 16, 2017 / 11:17 am

I bought them a little over 6 months ago.

As far as I’ve been told I would have had to “damage them out” months ago. At this point even if I were offered an exchange I’d have to pay for shipping out of pocket which would just increase the investment.

• March 16, 2017 / 12:10 pm

So frustrating. I recently tried LipSense (one of my friends started selling it). I was so excited to try it because I tend to “eat” my lipstick (it doesn’t last very long) because it’s supposed to last a long time. I hated it. It felt weird and had a funny taste to it (you can’t help but “taste” whatever’s on your lips!) Anyway, I’m so glad they have a 100% satisfaction guaranteed policy because the starter kit was $60! I got a full refund.

• March 16, 2017 / 2:42 pm

Ack! 60$ is a lot of money. So glad to hear you were able to get a refund!

21. March 17, 2017 / 9:31 am

Boo! Sorry to hear! It’s funny; I just bought 2 Julia dresses and received them yesterday. I really like my LLR consultant and enjoy all the clothing I have so far. Like you, I love and love in leggings! Mom life. But the first pair I received was sub par. It pulled almost immediately, is semi-see through and falls down. I didn’t get them from “my” consultant, who has so far provided me with a few lovely little items. I get it though! I was shocked when my hubs gave me the go ahead to order my dresses 2 nights ago. Hope I love them!

• March 21, 2017 / 7:36 am

Hopefully those dresses hold up for your long term!

22. March 17, 2017 / 8:39 pm

Thanks for posting this!! I’ve been thinking about trying them but now I’m thinking maybe not!

23. March 21, 2017 / 12:09 pm

No, I do not own any. Too many of my friends buy these clothes and I do not care for them. The cost alone makes me stay away, however, several of my friends have negative feedback about the quality of the material. Thank you for sharing about this product.

24. Lizzie
    March 28, 2017 / 11:39 am

Hang on to those items! Now that Lularoe has been hit with a class action lawsuit regarding quality issues, the “mentors” of groups of sellers (it’s a shady MLM structure but that’s a whole different story) have announced to consultants lower on the food chain that there is to be a lifetime guarantee and defective clothing can be exchanged even after it’s been worn. Find local consultants and you won’t have to pay shipping fees. Yes, it’s more than possible that you’ll be exchanging one defective product for another unless you get lucky and find stuff that isn’t going to fall apart.

In any case, you can add yourself to the class action lawsuit as soon as it is certified by the courts and hopefully get at least a portion of your money back if/when a settlement is reached.

• March 28, 2017 / 11:53 am

Hey! Thanks so much for the heads up. I don’t know much about the company and I find it really interesting that this is happening. Is an MLM essentially a pyramid scam?

The clothes are honestly so incredibly cheaply made. Just awful and crazy expensive for basically zero quality.

25. March 29, 2017 / 11:18 am

It sucks that you had such a bad experience–I’ve had good luck with their clothes so far. Only one small hole in the first pair of leggings I bought over a year ago.

• March 29, 2017 / 1:43 pm

Maybe it’s bad luck? Maybe not? At this point I’m really not willing to invest any more money to find out ya know?

• March 29, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Totally understandable!

26. March 30, 2017 / 8:41 am

I’ve been seeing Lularoe everywhere lately, and, honestly, I just don’t understand the desire. Some of the patterns are neat, but many of them just look garish to me! I mean, kudos to somebody for coming up with “mom clothes” that many moms gobble up, but I think they’re eyesores, bth.

– secondgenhomeschooler.wordpress.com –

• March 30, 2017 / 9:07 am

You’re absolutely right!

My prints were all very dark and subdued! But, there are a ton that are quite flashy!

27. March 30, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Wait, wait, wait. They… FALL DOWN REPEATEDLY?? Holy crap. I don’t know if they make pants for men, but if my pants were to fall down repeatedly, a LOT of people would be needing therapy after seeing my hairy tree trunks.

• March 30, 2017 / 4:00 pm

LOL fall is probably the wrong word – Roll down is probably more accurate!

28. April 3, 2017 / 8:30 am

Wow, that sucks. I first heard about Lularoe from Still Being Molly (http://www.stillbeingmolly.com/). She loves this line of clothing, it looks great on her, she’s always raving about it (how they fit and feel, how versatile they are, how ethical) and I’ve always been bummed that they are so expensive and that you can’t just buy them in a store or online. Guess I’m not missing out.

• April 3, 2017 / 9:38 am

Maybe I’m just an exception but my experience was really terrible. Although, there are TONS of ladies out there who just adore their LLR.

29. June 7, 2017 / 9:41 am

I have two pair of the leggings and I only wear them in the winter due to their warmth. I haven’t bought anything else since. Recently, friends and I were browsing a market that had a stand. The consultant said to my friend (about a ladies’ size 10 or so), “Oh those are one size. The tall and curvy are over here.” The assumption was beyond insulting. While it was only one consultant, the comment reflected poorly on any training that might be available and customer service. We walked away. Thanks for the information. I will avoid!

• June 7, 2017 / 11:00 am

Yeah, so rude. So not okay.

30. July 5, 2017 / 8:21 am

I’ve heard many good things initially, followed by claims very similar to yours! Their MLM-style way of selling automatically makes it too sleazy to me to want to try them, I just automatically avoid companies with that business model because it’s shady and there are much better ways to sell products.

• July 5, 2017 / 8:59 pm

I had no idea what an MLM was until after I purchased. The quality was just super shitty and not at all what it is advertised to be.

31. July 14, 2017 / 2:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. My friend sells Lula Roe and has been wanting me to buy from her. The clothes seemed terribly expensive. I’m glad I’ve stayed away.