20 frugal and delicious recipe ideas

20 frugal and delicious recipe ideas

One huge misconception about frugal living is that by taking a frugal approach to grocery shopping you consequently cannot eat well.

Food is expensive with fresh produce and meat likely the most costly of the items that make their way into your cart. At the outset of our journey, I vowed that I wouldn’t compromise the quality of the food we eat because what you eat is so important for living a healthy lifestyle. Not surprisingly, we had to get creative when it came to preparing meals because our grocery budget had to last us all week including, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. No exceptions. On average, we’re currently spending under 100$ per week to feed our family of 3.

Below are 20 of our  frugal family favorites. We’ve made each of these recipes and really enjoy them and I hope you do too if you decide to try them!

taco-soup-recipe.jpg

Hamburger Stroganoff from Food.com

Salsa Chicken Casserole spoon.jpg

[6]

Salsa Chicken CasseroleSalsa Chicken Casserole from Budget Bytes

Walnut Breadcrumb Pasta from My Recipes

QOD

Have any favorite frugal recipes to share?

Giving credit where credit is due!

1/ http://www.iheartnaptime.net/taco-soup-recipe/

2/ http://www.oneingredientchef.com/sweet-potato-shepherds-pie/

3/ http://www.frugallivingnw.com/healthy-coconut-chicken-soup-recipe-paleo-gluten-free-dairy-free/

4/ http://www.shugarysweets.com/2014/02/meatball-parmesan-casserole

5/ http://www.pink-parsley.com/2011/06/bean-and-cheese-burritos.html

6/ https://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/01/salsa-chicken-casserole/

1. March 27, 2017 / 7:54 am

Thanks, these are great ideas. I will get back to this post every time I need a new recipe.

• March 27, 2017 / 3:22 pm

Glad you found these helpful!

• March 27, 2017 / 10:15 am

Oh good! We really enjoy it!

2. March 27, 2017 / 9:52 am

Just copied down that salsa chicken recipe to try next week!

• March 27, 2017 / 9:55 am

It’s so so good!

3. March 27, 2017 / 10:29 am

Great roundup of meal ideas! I’m going to be trying several of these! Thank you 👍

4. March 27, 2017 / 2:21 pm

Thank you so much for these. Cooking on a budget is hard and there’s a couple (of the veggie ones) I’ve already bookmarked 😊 x

• March 27, 2017 / 3:21 pm

My pleasure. The lentil Sheppard pie is delicious!! We love it!

• March 28, 2017 / 5:01 am

Yes this is the one I’m really keen to try! 😊

5. March 27, 2017 / 7:20 pm

This is a great post. I love frugal eating – it’s a kind of a hobby of mine, and it means that I can occasionally go all out on luxury foods.
    I go for BOGOFs (Buy one, get one free), short dated foods (some fruits aren’t even ripe when they reach the sell-by date), in-season fruit and veg., and those ingredients which are always cheap. I make stuff like yogurt and humous – it tastes better and is far cheaper.
    I see you have all the right values and like to spread the word. Bravo – keep up the good work 🙂

• March 27, 2017 / 8:08 pm

Thanks! Those are all great frugal tips! We unfortunately don’t have many BOGOs here which makes me incredibly sad. Like you I tend to look at the short dated foods first and see what I can do with it. There was once a great deal on hams because they were short dated. I think they were somewhere around 6$ each and they easily lasted us 2 meals with leftovers for lunches and made a soup with the bone. Anyway I must have bought 10 of them! They lasted us all winter and I got the opportunity to experiment with different ways to prepare a ham!

• March 27, 2017 / 8:26 pm

That’s a bargain! In the UK there are always cheap treats on Christmas Eve, and I fill the freezer up with them.

• March 27, 2017 / 8:27 pm

Oh that’s a great one too! I hadn’t thought of that!

• March 27, 2017 / 8:31 pm

But it’s not too easy when you have a child on board, all excited about Christmas, as I believe you do…

6. March 28, 2017 / 11:02 am

Tasty new ideas?! So welcome they are, we love to try here things. Saved! 🙂

7. March 29, 2017 / 4:33 am

$100 a week is fantastic! I will be following along for more frugal living ideas 🙂

8. March 29, 2017 / 2:57 pm

Yes ma’am. Say the word frugal and I am all in. Jenny, I absolutely enjoy your blog. Makes us( hubby and I) believe we are not crazy staying frugal in this season of our lives. So much love my friend 💞

• March 29, 2017 / 3:18 pm

Awww thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

I guess one of my goals is to show that living a frugal lifestyle doesn’t mean living miserly ya know? It’s so possible to live well, eat well and be happy without spending money 🙂