Raise your hand if you need or would like a little extra cash? Who doesn’t right? Whether you’re looking to increase your monthly income to pay off some consumer debt or looking to pad your savings account, side-jobs are absolutely the way to go! When I was in university eons ago I always made a little extra with side jobs. They’re truly great because they’re flexible, add variety to your life and give you a little extra cash flow.
My go-to side jobs always revolved around education. I’m pretty good with numbers and my university training is in education so I ended building a pretty consistent flow of tutoring gigs. I tutored young kids, high schoolers and even some older students in college and university. Math rocks (ha!) and I absolutely loved helping kiddos of all ages improve their math skills. The schedule was always super flexible allowing me to work in the evening and on weekends which was super convenient with my own class schedule and lifestyle. Beyond this I’ve earned a little extra money making meals, selling stuff online and now blogging which has become my main “side hustle” in the last couple of months (stay tuned for a monthly recap and blog income write up)
For the curious, all my income is always declared. I simply report it as additional income which requires that I keep meticulous accounts of what income I’ve earned throughout the year for accurate tax reporting purposes.
So here we go folks. Here are 5o side hustles that you can start today and start paying down that debt or saving for your next big purchase. Let’s do this shall we?
- Got a blog? Monetize it! I’m amazed at how many opportunities are available to bloggers to make money. Have a look at this post about sponsored post opportunities to get you started. In my 8 or so months of blogging I’ve gotten a handful of opportunities that have helped me pad my savings quite a bit. Stay tuned for a post early next month when I do a wrap up of the month of May and give you a look at the income statement for the blog!
- Tutor kids! Are you great with numbers? A great writer? Skilled in science? Well, there’s absolutely a market for tutoring. Put a free add out on craigslist or contact a local tutoring company to get your name out there. The great thing about tutoring is that once you’ve built a name for yourself the clients come to you through word of mouth. Tip: if this is something that interests you the time to really cash in on this is right now since kiddos are gearing up for end of year exams and such.
- Invigilate exams at your local high school, college or university. Check out the websites of local schools to see who is looking for invigilators. The job is a little boring (you literally just sit there) but it pays well and it only lasts for a few days which is a great way to make a few extra bucks.
- Make meals. Many busy working families are looking for home cooked meals and willing to pay a fair amount of money for this service. I had an arrangement where I created a weeks worth of home cooked meals for a family of 4. I’d prepare everything on Sundays and they’d pick it up from my home. They paid me quite well and I’d double the batch to feed my own family which made prepping meals a win win. A word of caution though, food is expensive so it’s really important that you calculate exactly how much it costs you to prepare the meals. You’d be surprised how quickly things like flour, eggs, bread, pasta and other “staples” add up. You don’t want to short change yourself in the process.
- Lawn care. In the summer months tons of people are looking for lawn care. Put an add out there and try and score a family who doesn’t have time to maintain their lawn. You’d be surprised how quickly neighbors jump on board. Before you know it you’ll have the whole street to take care of.
- Clean pools. This is a really common side-hustle in these parts. Most everyone has a pool and a service company to come out and maintain it. A neighbor has a friend of a friend maintain his and he couldn’t be happier. He saves a little money since it’s cheaper than hiring a company and loves the personalized service. Same as lawn cutting, once the word spreads you’ll probably get the whole street. As it stand that friend of a friend cleans 7 pools on my street. He’s here half a day per week and makes a good amount of money!
- Shovel snow in the winter. Where we used to live an elderly neighbor approached me and asked if I’d clean off her stair case for 20$ per storm. I said sure. Before I knew it I had 4 houses to do on our street. It was great exercise and I made a good amount of extra money every time it snowed!
- Window washing. In the spring time this can earn you a good amount of money since some people love to have their windows professionally cleaned. The cost of the products is pretty small compared to the profit.
- Dog walking. Got a dog? Walk it regularly? Well why not see if other pups in your neighborhood need a walk too? You’d be surprised how many people would take you up on this offer.
- Child Care. If you’ve got the time and energy providing an after school child care service to busy parents is a great way to make some extra cash. The cost of after school daycare is atrocious and this is a win win situation both for the family and for you.
- Weed removal. People hate weeds! Just recently I was pulling some dandelions when a new neighbor who had a lawn full saw me. She asked if I’d be willing to do hers for a fee. I said sure. I got some peaceful time to myself while I worked on her lawn and I made some cash.
- Bake cupcakes for special occasions. Sweet treats are in constant demand. If you’re a good baker then why not sell your delicious creations?
- Be a personal shopper. Many individuals are unable to do their own shopping. A good friend called a local independent living facility to see if they would need a personal shopper. Well, she now does the shopping for a handful of residents.
- Sell your stuff online. Got extra stuff? Post it on Craigslist or local Facebook groups. You can sell just about anything!
- Sell DIY crafts on etsy. If you’re crafty head to etsy and sell your creations!
- Sell goods at a local flea market. This is actually super fun. You can rent a table for the weekend and sell just about anything. Clothes you no longer need, kitchen gadgets, homemade items are always a big seller! Annnnd, it’s an awesome way to meet new local people!
- Have a garage sale. If a flea market isn’t your style then have a garage sale. If you’re feeling really ambitious talk to your neighbors and have a block sale. Garage salers get really excited about block sales because there’s a ton of stuff and variety for them to explore.
- Offer a cleaning service. This is a no brainer. There are so many people looking for a cleaning service whether it be an ongoing weekly gig or a one time thing this is an awesome way to make case. Tip: call your local realtor and let them know you do this because often when people move they look for someone to give their house a one over before they hand over the keys.
- Design websites. If you’re good with websites and such offer design services!
- Stain decks. This can be a huge money maker in the summer. Staining decks is tedious and from experience people are willing to pay to get it done for them.
- Paint houses. Like deck staining some people hate to paint. If you enjoy it why not make a little extra money doing it!
- Help people move. Call your local moving company and see if they need an extra set of hands.
- Rent out your car. Rent your car for the day or week. You can make some extra cash helping people get their errands done.
- Build furniture. People love Ikea right? But, they don’t always love putting together the items they buy! Offer your building service.
- Alterations. Good with a sewing machine? Alter clothes!
- Tax Prep. During tax season tons of folks are looking for tax help. Software’s like turbo tax make the process relatively simple and you can make some extra cash by helping people get their taxes done.
- Caregiving. Provide caregiving services to individuals who need a little extra help.
- Resume service Are you in HR? are you savvy with resume writing? offer that service at a small premium
- Driving Drive local folks who don’t have a car around.
- Pizza delivery Make a couple extra bucks delivering pizzas!
- Pet sitting Watch local furbabies in the comfort of your own home!
- Photography Service Are you a good photographer? Market your services!
- Proofreading There are tons of opportunities for proofreading gigs available online!
- Teaching music do you play an instrument? Why not teach then?
- Translation Speak more than one language? Use it by translating documents!
- Computer Repair If you’re good with computers why not repair them as a side gig
- Create invitations Create gorgeous home-made invitations for special events
- Teach online courses There are tons of opportunities to teach language courses online!
- Fill out online surveys Fill out surveys and make a couple extra bucks
- Sell cold drinks at an outdoor event Sell bottled water, juice, soda at a local outdoor event.
- Publish an e-book Write an awesome e-book and sell it online
- Drive for Uber Use your car to make a little extra cash by driving for uber.
- Small handy man jobs Help people with small household tasks
- Organize other people’s homes. If you’re super organized you can help others organize their homes
- Sell at farmers markets Grow produce, bake delicious goodies and sell them at your local farmers market
- Create flower arrangements. Love flowers? Create beautiful flower arrangments for special events
- Organize children’s parties. Organize children’s birthday parties! From decorations to invitations and food!
- Flip furniture. Hunt for great vintage furniture, restore and resell!
- Consignment selling. Send your stuff to a local consignment shop to be sold.
- Catering service. Offer a catering service for small events! The corporate world is often looking for good quality food to feed their employees!
– Like this post? Pin it and spread the word! –
Got a side hustle? Tell me all about it!