Being Canadian means that often times awesome deals on food (i.e coupons and the like) aren’t available to us. Cash back apps are no exception and Ibotta which is a well loved American cash back app is not available to us Canucks. Enter CheckOut 51 folks – an awesome cash back app for Canadians and great alternative for Americans who might be looking to switch from Ibotta or to add a secondary cash back stream of revenue.
We do relatively well budget wise when it comes to grocery. We set our weekly max to 100$ and with some planning, prepping, incorporating meatless meals and savvy shopping we’re able to eat all our meals at home and feed our family of 4 (3 adults and a toddler) for under $400 a month. But, why stop there right? If I can get cash back on items I would be purchasing anyway, I’d be crazy not to take advantage.
Here are a few posts that shed some light on how we manage a 400$ per month grocery budget:
- A weeks worth of meals for under $100
- 5 easy ways to save thousands by brown bagging lunch
- How to build a stockpile and save thousands in the process
- 5 grocery shopping tips that will save you money
Sadly, some cash back apps can be a pain in the butt am I right? What’s super cool about CheckOut 51 is that the cash back process is made super easy and can be completed from your phone and the pay out threshold is super attainable at only 20$. Nothing sucks more than sketchy cash back programs that make the payout process complicated by setting a high payout threshold ya know?
How CheckOut51 Works
- Check out current cash back offers every Thursday. New product offers are uploaded on Thursdays so make sure to check out the app every Thursday morning. There are all sorts of cash back offers to take advantage of from basic staples like milk and toilet paper to soaps and other household items that don’t fall into the grocery category. What’s especially cool is that once you give the app the permission to know your location it zeros in on all local stores which allows you to shop anywhere the product is available to you. I love love love that you don’t have to be exclusive to any one store!
- Upload a photo of your receipt & have it verified. Once you’ve completed your shopping hold on to your receipt! Tell the app which products you’ve purchased and then snap a quick photo of your receipt as proof of purchase. Once the receipt is submitted you wait to have your items approved! It doesn’t get easier than that does it? My receipts have gotten verified within hours making the whole process super efficient!
- Request payment at the 20$ mark As you upload your receipts and get your cash backs verified your account balance grows! Request a check or paypal payment once you hit the 20$ threshold!
Why I love CheckOut 51
- You can save your items to a list Scanning through the available products each week is a breeze. If you know that an item is on your shopping list you simply highlight it and save it to your list which makes referencing it later while at the grocery store a breeze.
- Cash backs are offered on staples and produce This app offers cashbacks on staple items like milk, produce, toilet paper and even eggs which is awesome. It’s not only a collection of refined processed foods that you might not otherwise buy. The cash backs on produce may not be huge (think 0.25$ on a cucumber but every little bit helps when it comes to stretching that grocery budget am I right?)
- You can combine even more offers to save even more money If you’re super savvy and have access to coupons you can combine additional offers for even more savings. I had a coupon for 1$ off gain laundry detergent and also cashed in on a CheckOut 51 deal for 2$ off. I ended up paying 0.99$ for laundry detergent which was a beyond awesome deal!
- Uploading and verifying receipts takes literally 2 seconds Unlike other traditional mail in rebate type cash back offers CheckOut 51 allows you to request your cash back directly from your phone. It’s literally as simple as snapping a photo, uploading it and waiting for it to be verified. It doesn’t get much easier than that folks!
A few frugal things to keep in mind
- Don’t buy just to buy Similar to couponing (which I’m not a huge fan of) cash back apps like CheckOut 51 have the potential to encourage buying for the sake of saving and not for need. If there’s an item on the list that you would have purchased anyway or would be a good substitute for something you were planning to buy then absolutely cash in and take advantage. But, if you’re adding items to your list and buying them because they simply are a great deal be careful – those purchases add up and will certainly bust your budget!
- Use your savings towards stockpile essentials Keep an eye out on cashback for shelf-stable products and other household items you can stockpile. Toilet paper, laundry detergent, liquid dish soap and canned goods are items that are always worth buying if there is a little extra budget that allows for it in addition to an awesome cash back offer to save you even more money.
- Hunt for the best product deal before applying the cash back Since CheckOut 51 allows you to take advantage of their cash back offers at almost every store in your area it’s worth checking out who offers the best deal on the item so you can get the product at the absolute best and rock bottom price. Do a little internet research or peruse your local circulars to see who has what on sale so you can stretch your dollar even further!
Want frugal updates straight to your mailbox?
What cashback app do you use? Love it or hate?