These popular DIY LEGO storage ideas are seriously sanity saving. If you’ve got a kid who is obsessed with LEGO you have to check out these 30+ clever ways to organize and store their LEGO neatly.
Are you looking for more home organization hacks? Check out these: the best DIY toy organization and storage ideas every parent needs to know, clever storage and organization ideas for small kitchens, top hacks for keeping a tidy home when you are naturally messy
DIY LEGO Storage Ideas Every Parent Needs To Know
If you’re the parent of young children, you know all about the love-hate relationship between you and your kids’ LEGOs.
On the one hand, LEGOs and LEGO kits are great for keeping your children occupied. LEGOs are timeless in that they’ve provided generations of kids hours of fun play.
LEGO can unleash your kids’ creativity, teach them valuable motor skills, and keep them occupied for hours.
But, what about when playtime is over and the kids have moved onto their next activity?
You’re left with a messy room and a floor that looks like a LEGO volcano just erupted. You find LEGOs littered all across the house, and they’re usually invisible until – OUCH! – your foot lands hard on one of those tiny plastic pieces.
And, trying to get your kids to pick up and put away every piece? Forget about it – not going to happen.
Once a LEGO kit has been opened, it’s practically impossible to keep track of all the individual pieces. And, if you plan to store them once they’re built you have to worry about losing pieces. What a nightmare.
So, what’s the solution? How can you keep giving your kids a fun, constructive time with LEGOs without the frustration, clutter, and annoyance that typically follows?
The answer lies in these easy, sanity-saving DIY LEGO storage ideas and dedicated LEGO Play spaces we’ve carefully curated for you.
With a little bit of creativity and determination, you can create a totally custom DIY LEGO organization system that works for you and your child. The kids will be able to go on enjoying hours of play with their favorite toys, and you’ll maintain your peace of mind. Win win situation in our books.
What will you find in this post? First, we’ll share some of our best tips and tricks for building functional DIY LEGO storage ideas and LEGO tables that promote hours of chaos free LEGO play. Then, we carefully curated the absolute best functional DIY LEGO storage ideas for you to use as inspiration for getting your own LEGO situation under control.
4 Things To Consider When Organizing LEGO
#1 How much LEGO storage do you actually need?
The quantity and type of LEGO your child owns will determine which DIY LEGO storage ideas are the best fit for your family.
The more LEGO you have to store the larger and more complex your DIY LEGO storage ideas need to be.
If you’re only dealing with a handful of LEGO sets then a Ziploc space saver system would work well. But, if your kid has thousands of pieces of LEGO that are scattered all over your home one of the more elaborate and complex DIY LEGO storage ideas might be a better fit.
#2 How often do the kids play with their LEGO?
If your kids’ are playing with LEGO often then investing your energy into a DIY LEGO table with included storage might be a good idea. This gives them a dedicated LEGO play area where they can spend hours building. This type of storage helps contain the mess and makes organizing and storing LEGO easy.
But, if LEGO is a once in a while type activity for your child then you’d likely be better off with an out of sight out of mind type storage solution. Something that is easily accessible when the mood strikes but can be neatly tucked away when it isn’t being played with is ideal.
#3 How much real estate can you devote to DIY LEGO Storage Ideas?
Speaking of how often kids play with their LEGO, you also need to consider how much real estate you have to dedicate to your DIY LEGO storage and organization.
If your kids have a large dedicated play space then you can easily opt for the most elaborate and sophisticated LEGO storage and organization system. But, if space is an issue then some of the more compact space saving DIY LEGO storage ideas might be a better option.
#4 Age Appropriate Storage Choices
Finally, consider the age of your child when making decisions about LEGO storage ideas and hacks.
If you’re dealing with younger children then LEGO tables that are easy to use and storage that is easy to open and close is a must. Containers that are safe for little fingers are important!
And, if you’re creating LEGO storage for older kids then you can consider maximizing vertical space by adding shelves and hanging units.
30+ Sanity-Saving DIY LEGO Storage Ideas
Check out these easy DIY LEGO storage ideas to keep all of your LEGO sets together, keep track of every single piece, and make playtime much less stressful and frustrating for both you and your kids.
1. Simple and Decorative LEGO Storage: This simple DIY LEGO storage combines cubicle shelving with drawer organizers for LEGO bricks. This DIY LEGO storage unit is perfect for organizing LEGO bricks by either color or shape. (Visit One Mile Homestyle for the tutorial)
2. Shoe Organizer LEGO Storage: Make storing your LEGOS by color a breeze with this quick and easy genius shoe organizer LEGO storage hack. This is one of those DIY LEGO storage ideas that’s ideal for children who don’t have a very large collection of LEGO. (Visit Kids Activities Blog for details)
3. Upcycled Ikea LEGO Table: An inexpensive IKEA table is transformed into a DIY LEGO table with built in under table storage for LEGO pieces. Create this functional DIY LEGO storage by gluing a LEGO base mat to a table, add under table storage and fix small buckets for sorting and playing organization to the side. (Original Source Unknown)
4. Telephone Table LEGO Table and Storage: Create this creative upcycled DIY LEGO Table and storage by upcycling an old telephone table. Use Rustoleum spray paint to create a vibrant DIY LEGO play station your kids will love using. (Visit Castle Bound With Chrystal for details)
5. Quick & Easy Ziploc LEGO Storage: If you want to keep things fuss free and simple this quick and easy Ziploc LEGO storage makes so much sense. Put sets up LEGO into extra large Ziploc bags including the instructions to keep LEGO kits neat and tidy. Store your kits in plastic baskets to keep them organized. (Visit Love Bug Living for details)
6. Ikea Trofast LEGO Organization: The Trofast collection from Ikea is a great DIY LEGO organization option. We love that Trofast offers a variety of different storage options and drawer insert sizes. This versatility allows you to mix and match and create a DIY LEGO storage solution tailored to your needs. (Visit I Heart Organizing for details)
7. DIY Play Table and LEGO Storage: Create an adjustable DIY LEGO table with heaps of storage using the Ikea Trofast collection. This is one of those DIY LEGO storage ideas that will grow with your child. (Visit That Mommy Blog for details)
8. Cheap & Easy LEGO Storage Organizer: If your kids have a dedicated desk space where they enjoy playing with LEGO you can easily mount some hanging storage bins for cheap and easy DIY LEGO storage and organization. (Visit Happiness is Homemade for details)
9. Ikea Lack LEGO Play Table With Storage: Transform an Ikea Lack coffee table into a large functional DIY LEGO play table with under table storage using plastic storage containers. (Visit Ikea Hackers for details)
10. DIY LEGO Storage Cube: This DIY LEGO storage cube is an all in one DIY LEGO storage solution. This DIY cube offers a good amount of LEGO storage in addition to a convenient DIY LEGO table building surface. It’s conveniently built on wheels so you can easily move it around or push it into a closet for quick and easy storage. (Visit Addicted 2 DIY for details)
11. LEGO Table With Storage: This is another example of an Ikea Lack coffee table transformation. Loaded with large plastic containers for storage this is one of those DIY LEGO storage ideas that is really quite simple and inexpensive to make. (Visit Grace Giggles and Naptime for details)
12. DIY Plastic LEGO Drawer Storage and Play Table: Combine plastic drawer units, a table top and LEGO bases to create a functional DIY LEGO play table and storage center. (Visit Our Wee Family for details)
13. Ikea Hack DIY LEGO Organization: This clever LEGO Storage hack creates a DIY LEGO table with embedded storage by combining two Trofast storage units from Ikea. (Visit Frugal Fun 4 Boys for details)
14. Upcycles 80s Coffee Table LEGO Table & Storage: Got an old coffee table laying around? Upcycle it into a creative DIY LEGO table with loads of storage for the kids! (Visit Infarrantly Creative for details)
15. Magnetic LEGO Storage Organization: Add some magnetic storage to a DIY LEGO table to add even more storage for LEGO bricks. (Visit Kojo Designs for details)
16. Mobile LEGO Organization and Storage: If space is an issue then this one of those DIY LEGO storage ideas you should consider. This fun storage idea uses rolling storage cart that can be tucked away in a closet for quick and easy storage. (Visit Bentley Waters for details)
17. The Ultimate DIY LEGO Organization Solution: If you have the space available this ultimate DIY LEGO table and organization creates a large play area for kids to spend hours building. (Visit Honey Bear Lane for details)
18. Upcycled Night Stand LEGO Storage and Play Table: Turn an old nightstand into a clever DIY LEGO table with built in storage. (Visit The Happy Housewife for details)
19. Mega Storage LEGO Storage and Play Table: This is one of those DIY LEGO storage ideas that any LEGO fan would love to have. Two Ikea Trofast storage systems are transformed into a large LEGO table with tons of under table storage. (Visit The Handy Man’s Daughter for details)
20. DIY LEGO Play Table and Storage: Embedded storage makes this DIY LEGO play table both functional and fun. LEGO bricks are literally an arms length away. (Visit A Little Bit Of This, A Little Of That for details)
21. Upcycled Train Table LEGO Storage and Play Table: If you own a train table that is not being used you can consider transforming it into a clever DIY LEGO table with storage for your kiddos and their LEGO bricks. (Visit The Everyday Mom Life for details)
22. Stylish Metal LEGO Organization: For a no fuss DIY LEGO organization solution you can invest in a stylish metal LEGO organization system that can complement your child’s room decor. (Visit The Container Store for details)
23. Metal Tool Chest LEGO Storage: Got an old tool chest laying around? Repurpose it and use it to store LEGO! Watch for pointy edges as sometimes these metal cabinets can be sharp! (Visit Raising Dragons for details)
25. DIY Rolling Under Bed LEGO Storage Cart: If space is cramped at your place or you want LEGOS out of sight when they are not being played with then under bed storage is a perfect solution. (Visit The Happie Housie for details)
26. Dream Cart DIY Lego Storage and Play Table: Inspire the kids to build with their LEGOs for hours with this large, organized DIY LEGO table with storage. (Visit Hello Wonderful for details)
27. DIY Hideaway LEGO Tray: For the ultimate space saving LEGO storage consider this hideaway LEGO tray. This play surface literally rolls under the couch when not in use. Store LEGO pieces out of sight in plastic containers to make this an ultimate space saving LEGO storage solution. (Visit Thrifty Decor Chic for details)
28. DIY LEGO Suitcase Storage and Play Surface: If your kids don’t have huge amount of LEGO this DIY LEGO table with storage is genius! Upcycle an old suitcase into a DIY LEGO table that can easily be tucked away into a closet or under a bed when not being used. (Visit Flea Market Flipper for details)
29. Storage Bench LEGO Table with Storage: Transform a storage bench or ottoman into a clever DIY LEGO table with embedded storage. (Source Unknown)
30. LEGO Floor Play Surface and Storage: This clever DIY LEGO table with storage can provide a LEGO lover hours of building fun. And, it can easily be tucked away making it the best solution for families who want LEGOs out of sight when they are not being played with. (Visit Interior Motive 101 for details)
31. Portable DIY LEGO Table: Create a portable DIY LEGO table that can easily come with you on family trips. We especially love this DIY LEGO storage idea because it can easily be folded and stored in a closet to save space when it is not in use. (Visit Craft Your Happiness for details)
32. Portable LEGO Table: This quick and easy portable LEGO table and storage system is ideal for car drives, dinners out or any other occasion where the kids would want access to some LEGO. Simply turn a metal lunch box into a convenient DIY LEGO table with storage! (Visit Mama Papa and Bubba for details)
34. DIY LEGO Storage Ottoman: Transform an old ottoman with storage into a DIY LEGO table with embedded storage to create a dedicated LEGO play area for the kids. (Visit DIY Danielle for details)
More Neat Ideas We Think You’ll Love:
- 30+ Cheap and Easy DIY Toy Organization Ideas You Need To See
- 10+ Screen Free Play Ideas For Kids When They Are Home From School
- 50+ Popular Sidewalk Chalk Ideas For Kids
Please help spread the word! Click here to save these DIY LEGO storage ideas to your favorite DIY board on Pinterest.