Here are 50 stunning chalk art ideas that are guaranteed to inspire you and your kids this summer. These fun summer sidewalk chalk art projects are a great screen free activity for kids of all ages.
Looking for more neat ideas for kids? Check out these: more clever sidewalk chalk art you got to try making, really fun DIY water game activities guaranteed to cool you off, free printable I spy games for every season and holiday
Join 100 000+ readers and get access to FREE content, ideas for kids, family friendly recipes, promotions, printables and more!
Summer Sidewalk Chalk Art for Kids
Nothing ignites the imagination of a child more than concrete and a box of new chalks. Chalk is such a versatile tool for kids. And, the possibilities to use sidewalk chalk for learning and creativity are endless.
Arts and crafts for kids are all about experimenting with new materials, seeing how they feel, how they can be used, and how different materials interact with one another.
Chalk is undoubtedly fun to draw and write with, but did you know that it’s also an easy activity that promotes learning?
This is why summer sidewalk chalk art is one of our favorite screen free activity for kids during the summer.
Benefits Of Chalk Art For Kids
Chalk is an easy and flexible medium for teaching children a wide range of concepts in math, science, and literacy. The learning opportunities are truly limitless which is why we love summer sidewalk chalk art so much!
From helping children write their names in chalk on the pavement to playing a game of hopscotch math there are so many fun and creative ways to transform summer sidewalk chalk art into neat learning opportunities.
Here are the top 5 ways creating summer sidewalk chalk art is beneficial for children:
1. Improves Academic Knowledge
Color identification, sorting, and matching skills are developed in children when playing with and creating summer sidewalk chalk art ideas. Kids also learn about patterns, numbers, and letters by using and playing with chalk.
2. Develops Fine Motor Skills
Holding and handling writing tools is one of the most effective ways for a child to develop their fine motor skills. So, holding chalk and learning how to write with is a great way to help improve fine motor skills in very young children.
3. Cognitive Advancement
Summer sidewalk chalk art ideas can help children develop and exercise skills such as patterning and cause and effect (for example, “If the child pushes hard with a piece of chalk, the color gets darker.”). Children also learn strategic thinking skills by creating a mental map of what drawing they want to create. This encourages children to create an imaginative plan and then physically create it.
4. Improves Self-Confidence
You undoubtedly enjoy hearing the word, “look what I made!” as a mom or guardian. When your child creates chalk art and crafts out of his or her creativity, thoughts, and perceptions, they gain confidence.
Children love to show off their work and encouraging them to create summer sidewalk chalk art is a great way for them to beam with pride as they show off their unique creations.
So, creating summer sidewalk chalk art ideas can also add to your child’s inherent confidence, self-worth, and validity.
5. Language Skills
Language skills are formed as children identify and share their artwork and creative method.
These summer sidewalk chalk art ideas are a perfect way to teach language, spelling and literacy.
In addition, summer sidewalk chalk art ideas are ideal for creating a space for thoughtful and intentional conversation with young children. Creating summer sidewalk chalk art provides an opportunity for children to learn new vocabulary terms relevant to their creation. Encouraging children to describe the process of creating their sidewalk chalk art ideas including describing the finished product is a great way to develop language skills and vocabulary.
Awesome Summer Sidewalk Chalk Art Ideas
Whether you’re up for a game of hopscotch or you wish to create a chalk racetrack, nothing beats the following summer sidewalk chalk art ideas to keep kids busy with a stimulating screen free activity.
Ready to stir up some creativity? Here are over 50 of the best creative chalk art ideas you can try out this summer with your kids.
1. Summer Sidewalk Chalk Art
These summer sidewalk chak art ideas are a great way to channel a child’s creativity and expression.
Drawing with sidewalk chalk encourages children to experiment, explore their creativity and feel liberated. Chalk art also assists in mastering fine motor skills for preschooler’s and is perfect for getting younger kids school-ready!
Chalk Art Supplies We Recommend:
- Extra large outdoor chalk for kids in a variety of colors
- Sidewalk chalk holders (helps to keep little hands clean and provides a better grip)
- Letter stencils for chalk art
- Creative stencils for creating a variety of sidewalk chalk art projects
1. Rainbow Walkway: Color pavers with a set pattern or encourage kids to freestyle it for a fun and colorful walkway. (Source Unknown)
2. Sidewalk Chalk Town & Roadway: Create a vibrant chalk art town and roadway so kids can get imaginative with their toy cars and trucks (Visit B Inspired Mama for more details)
3. Take Me To The Moon: Encourage the kids to visit the moon and space through their summer sidewalk chalk art creations. (Visit A Few Little Finds for more details)
4. Kid In The Moon Sidewalk Chalk Art: Seize the opportunity to teach kids about moon phases with this adorable moon themed chalk art idea. (Visit A Few Little Finds for more details)
5. Sidewalk Chalk Mandalas: Create vibrant and colorful mandalas and learn about patterns in the process (Visit Art Club Blog for more details)
6. Flower and Fairy Sidewalk Chalk Art: Imaginative play is guaranteed to happen when you enter the realm of fairies. (Visit A Few Little Finds for more details)
7. Butterfly and Her Flower Sidewalk Chalk Art: Learn about the growth cycle of plants while creating gorgeous flower and butterfly art (Source Unknown)
8. Sidewalk Simon Sidewalk Chalk Activity: Get the kids moving and creating art with this really fun Simon chalk art activity game. (Visit Toddler Approved for details)
9. Sidewalk Chalk Game For Kids: Create a game out of chalk that gets the kids twirling, jumping and roaring with laughter. (Visit Matty Angel for more details)
10. Constellations Summer Sidewalk Chalk Art: Seize the opportunity to learn about constellations with this clever constellations summer sidewalk chalk art idea. (Visit Creekside Learning for more details)
11. Happy Birthday: Help the kids create custom Birthday wishes for friends or family using chalk art. (Visit Pinerest for more details)
12. Outdoor Math Sidewalk Chalk Art Activity: Use chalk art to teach kids about math. We love this idea because it can be easily customized to any child’s level (Visit Look We’re Learning for more information)
13. Love Grows Here Sidewalk Chalk Idea: Challenge children to create gorgeous and meaningful chalk expressions. (Source unknown)
14. Princess Carriage Art: Transform your little girl into a princess with this cute carriage chalk art idea. (Visit The Johnson’s Journey for details)
15. Lobster Chalk Art: Create a cute lobster with the kids. Make it a teaching moment and learn about different crustaceans. (Source unknown)
16. Rocket Ship Chalk Art: Blast off to the moon in your very own chalk art rocket ship! (Visit The Johnson’s Journey for details)
17. Be Happy Chalk Art: Create motivational sayings on the side walk using chalk (Visit Lovely Indeed for details)
18. Be Rad Chalk Art: Challenge kids to give life to motivational sayings using chalk! (Visit Lovely Indeed for details)
19. Rainbow Summer Sidewalk Chalk Art: Create a rainbow and then learn the science behind how a rainbow is created. (Source unknown)
20. Be Strong: Teach your little girl that she’s strong by creating a motivation chalk art creation. (Visit The Johnson’s Journey for more information)
21. Mandala Sidewalk Chalk Art: Let kids learn about shapes while they create vibrant Mandalas out of sidewalk chalk. (Source Unknown)
22. Shark Attack Chalk Art: Learn about sharks by creating this fun shark attach chalk art idea (Visit Street Art Utopia for details)
23. Vintage Pick Up Truck Chalk Art: Let kids create this adorable truck and go crazy “painting” it with their favorite colors. (Visit The Johnson’s Journey for more details)
24. Nature Mandalas Chalk Art: This nature mandala incorporates botany into a creative chalk activity. (Visit Nurture Store for details)
25. Take Me Away Balloon Art: Practice color recognition with even the youngest artists. (Visit Paging Fun Moms for more details)
26. Birthday Cake Chalk Art: Take a minute to create a chalk art birthday cake outdoors for your kids next birthday. (Visit Wendy Janelle for more details)
27. Outer Space Pup Chalk Art: Let your imagination go wild with this adorable outer space pup chalk art idea! (Visit Ammo The Dachshund for more information)
28. Rainy Day Chalk Art: Ask children to draw their perfect rainy day. (Visit Paging Fun Moms for more details)
29. Chalk Maze: Build problem solving skills by creating a challenging maze for kids! (Visit Hands On As We Grow for details)
30. Merry Christmas Chalk Art: Celebrate Christmas in July with some fun holiday inspired sidewalk chalk art. (Visit Cool Mom Tech for more details)
31. Bubbles Chalk Art: Sneak in some geometry while kids create gorgeous bubbles in a variety of different sizes. (Visit The Lost Stock for more details)
32. Name Chalk Art: Kids can practice their letters and writing their name in chalk! (Visit Pinterest for more details)
33. Under The Sea Chalk Art: Seize the opportunity to learn about the ocean by creating an under the sea chalk art masterpiece. (Source unknown)
34. Day At The Beach Chalk Art: Challenge a child’s imagination to create a day at the beach (Source unknown)
35. Singing In The Rain Summer Sidewalk Chalk Art: Rainy days can be fun too! Create a one of a kind rainy day chalk art creation. (Visit The Burgh Baby for more details)
36. Little Mermaid Chalk Art: Turn their favorite Disney movie into a gorgeous chalk art creation with this little mermaid chalk art idea. (Visit The Burgh Baby for details)
37. Let’s Lift Chalk Art: Help your kiddos be “strong” with this neat let’s lift chalk art creation. (Visit Pinterest for more details)
38. Swing Chalk Mural: An interactive chalk art project like this swing mural is a fun way to play with ideas of forced perspectives for kids. (Visit The Art Of Education for more details)
39. Anatomy Chalk Art: Seize the opportunity to use chalk to learn about anatomy including bones and vital organs. (Source Unknown)
40. Jumping On The Bed Chalk Art: Jumping on the bed is always allowed when it comes to sidewalk chalk art creations. (Visit The Johnson’s Journey for more details)
41. Singing In The Rain Chalk Art: Create gorgeous weather themed chalk art ideas to teach children about different weather events (Visit Brit.co for more details)
42. Little Princess Art: Turn your little girl into a royal princess for the day with this cute chalk art idea.(Visit Little Lily for more details)
2. Summer Sidewalk Chalk Art Paint
These really simple chalk and water projects will keep your little ones occupied by learning how water and chalk interact to make chalk paint. Summer sidewalk chalk art paint is effortless to make and offers many opportunities for play, creative expression and imagination.
Making your own summer sidewalk chalk art paint is as simple as diluting grated sidewalk chalk and water to create a a chalk paint. There aren’t any fixed ratios of water to chalk. So, feel free to experiment with more or less of each ingredient. You can even add drops of food coloring to make colors more vibrant so they pop when used on concrete.
Older children can also enjoy these summer sidewalk chalk art paint ideas almost as much as toddlers. So, these summer sidewalk chalk art paint ideas are good choice for children of a variety of ages.
Chalk Paint Supplies We Recommend:
- colored chalk
- a grater for grating chalk sticks into powder
- a muffin tin or plastic cups for mixing individual paint colors
- bottle of water
- paint brushes and sponges for creating chalk paint masterpieces
43. Foam Chalk Paint: turn your sidewalk chalk into foam paint and go crazy creating vibrant chalk art creations! (Visit The Tiptoe Fairy for details)
44. DIY Puffy Chalk Paint: Whip up a batch of this puffy chalk paint and let the kids go crazy with their creativity. (Visit Midget Momma for details)
45. Liquid Chalk Paint Art: Practice painting letters, shapes and numbers with this quick and easy liquid chalk paint. This liquid chalk paint is also great for use with stencils. (Visit Mom Wife Busy Life for more details)
46. 3-Ingredient DIY Magic Side Walk Chalk Paint: Quick and easy to make this sidewalk chalk paint is totally washable too which makes it a great activity for kids. (Visit On My Kids Plate for more details)
47. Chalk Spray Paint: Put homemade chalk paint in spray bottles to create DIY chalk spray paint. Use spray paint chalk paint with stencils to create gorgeous one of a kind chalk art creations. (Visit Growing A Jeweled Rose for details)
48. Chalk Ice: Have fun creating fun chalk art with these frozen chalksicles. Pop a batch into the freezer the day before an especially hot day to have them ready to go! (Visit The Best Ideas For Kids for details)
49. Outdoor Shadow Art: Use homemade chalk paint to learn about shadows! Have children trace each other and then paint their shadows in creative ways. (Visit Rhythms of Play for details)
50. Erupting Ice Chalk: Add a chemical reaction to your summer sidewalk chalk art with this neat erupting chalk ice!(Visit Learn Play Imagine for details)
51. DIY Chalk Bombs: Super messy yet so much fun, these chalk bombs are a great way to have heaps of fun. (Visit A Little Pinch Of Perfect for details)
52. Frozen Chalk Bombs: Use a variety of shaped ice cube trays to create fun chalk paint bombs to create a one of a kind sidewalk chalk creation. (Visit Tinkerlab for more details)
53. Ice Cube Tray Chalk: Freeze chalk paint in ice cube trays then watch them melt and create beautiful summer sidewalk chalk art. No two creations will be alike! (Visit Reading Confetti for more details)
54. Rainbow Sidewalk Chalk Paint: Create gorgeous vibrant chalk paint and let the rainbow spark kids creativity to create one of a kind masterpieces. (Visit Learn Play Imagine for details)
We hope you love these summer sidewalk chalk ideas as much as we do!