Here are 10 FREE printable Play-Doh Counting mats for kids.
If you’re looking for a really fun way to help kids with their number practice, you’ve come to the right place!
Because, who doesn’t LOVE Play-Doh right?
10 Play-Doh Counting Mats For Kids
Play-Doh counting mats are a go-to in our house when we want to spend some time practicing our number skills.
Our 4.5 year old doesn’t always respond well to traditional pen and paper activities. So, to get her as engaged as possible we turn to sensory learning because it gets her more active and involved in here learning.
She especially loves these Play-Doh counting mats because she loves creating and molding with her Play-Doh.
These free printable Play-Doh counting mats are perfect for kids who are just learning their numbers. They make learning so much fun, that young kids wont even realize that they are practicing their numbers.
So, since we know that kids just love playing with Play-Doh we wanted to share these easy Play-Doh counting mats to get your kids practicing their creativity, imagination and motor skills while they practice their counting.
How These Play-Doh Counting Mats Work:
Our free printable Play-Doh counting mats offer a multi-sensory approach to number practice. Children are encouraged to shape their Play-Doh into the shape of the number on each number mat. Then, they need to create and count the number of objects to add to each picture.
For younger kids, you can simplify the task by asking them to create Play-Doh balls. This makes adding the missing elements easier. As they become more comfortable they can spend more time creating creative objects.
Each number mat includes a number from 1 to 10. In addition each Play-Doh counting mat includes a picture that has missing objects.
After downloading your free printable Play-Doh counting Mats you can opt to make them reusable by using a lamintor and laminating each mat separately.
But, if you don’t have a laminator you can print them for one time use.
The Play-Doh Counting Mats include:
- #1 Shape a 1 and add one apple to the tree
- #2 Shape a 2 and add two cars to the road
- #3 Shape a 3 and add three flowers to the pot
- #4 Shape a 4 and add four spiders to the web
- #5 Shape a 5 and add five seeds to the watermelon
- #6 Shape a 6 and add six rain drops to the cloud
- #7 Shape a 7 and add seven birds to the sky
- #8 Shape an 8 and add eight eggs to the nest
- #9 Shape a 9 and add nine tomatoes to the plant
- #10 Shape a 10 and add ten bananas to the basket
What Skills These Play-Doh Counting Mats Encourage
These free printable Play-Doh number mats encourage a variety of different skills including:
- Enhanced motor skills for shaping, molding and creating numbers and objects
- Fosters creativity and imagination
- Develops hand eye co-ordination
- Practices numeracy skills and number recognition
- Enhances counting and grouping skills
Alternate Uses For The Counting Mats
If you don’t have any Play-Doh you can easily use these counting mats in other ways.
For single use number practice you can simply print the Play-Doh counting mats and have kids trace the numbers and draw the missing objects.
For a reusable option you can laminate the counting cards and have children trace and draw with dry erase markers.
Supplies You’ll Need:
These free printable Play-Doh mats require very little in the way of supplies.
We suggest the following to make this sensory experience as positive as possible:
- A good quality color printer for printing the Play-Doh counting mats (We highly suggest this Brother Laser Color Printer)
- Laminator to plastify each Play-Doh number mat (We really like this affordable Amazon Basics Thermal Laminator)
- A variety of different Play-Doh colors (Check out our famous homemade Play-Doh, No Cook Jello Play Doh or this collection of 9 best homemade Play-Doh recipes)
- Dry Erase Markers if you’re opting to use the mats without Play-Doh
How To Download
Extract the zip file and print the contents of the folder. In all you will have 10 separate Play-Doh counting mats.