Here are our favorite 30 popular vegetarian meals for kids perfect for picky eaters and kids who should be eating more vegetables! These quick and easy vegetarian meals for kids are a great way to sneak more veggies into a child’s diet or add more meatless dinners to your weekly meal plan.
Vegetarian Meals For Kids
Are you scratching your head trying to come up with vegetarian meals for kids that your picky eater will actually want to eat? Something delicious and healthy that wont cause a fight at dinner time?
Dinnertime tantrums are the worst.
Well, you’ve come to the right place because we’ve done the research for you and have found some family favorite vegetarian recipes and dinner ideas that you’re going to want to make over and over again.
Dinner time shouldn’t be a stressful time of day plagued with tantrums and kids refusing to eat. So, we wanted to help you explore some nutritious and healthy quick and easy vegetarian supper ideas that are ideal for families with picky eaters.
These recipes might not work for every family and there’s no guarantee that picky eaters will enjoy every recipe. But, we’ve rounded up such a large variety of the best kid friendly vegetarian dinner ideas that you are bound to find a handful of recipes that will work for your family and picky eaters.
It’s absolutely possible for picky eaters to to reap the benefits of a healthy vegetarian style of eating and love every single bite! The quick and easy vegetarian meals for kids listed below are proof that children can eat a vegetable based diet and really enjoy it too.
These are our favorite nutritious kid friendly vegetarian supper recipes that we refer to time and time again! These vegetarian meals for kids are healthy, easy, creative and tasty. Above all, most of them come together in less than 30 minutes making them a great choice for busy weeknights.
So, whether you’re cooking for your strictly vegetarian family or trying to add and sneak more vegetables into your diet, you’ll just love the selection and variety of vegetarian meals for kids we’ve hand picked for you.
Vegetarian Meals For Kids
Important Notes About Vegetarian Meals For Kids
- Vegetables provide excellent nutrition for your kids and are loaded with essential vitamins and minerals
- Children under the age of 8 should eat up to 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every single day
- When cooking vegetarian meals for children, the most important thing to note is that they must be healthy and contain enough protein and iron to support their growth and development
- Vegetarian meals for kids should also include high-energy foods to keep kids going, playing, and studying
- High energy foods include: grains, complex carbohydrates, nuts, seeds and vegetables rich in B-12 vitamins
- Plant-based protein is an excellent addition to vegetarian meals for kids because it provides healthy amounts of vitamins and minerals while remaining completely meat-free
- Plant based proteins you can consider experimenting with include: tofu, edamame, tempeh, lentils, chickpeas, most beans, green peas, quinoa, oats, wild rice, nuts, nut butters, protein rich vegetables
Experimenting With Vegetarian Meals For Kids
As a mom, you may find yourself looking to experiment with vegetarian dinner ideas for kids because you are in one or more of the following situations:
- Your kid has declared that they are vegetarian, and you’re at a loss for what to prepare;
- You’re vegetarian, and you’re sick of being a line cook, cooking several meals at dinnertime to please everyone in the family; or
- You’re playing and experimenting with meatless Mondays and meals and need to find kid friendly recipes that they’ll actually like.
Nutrition for All Ages
A well-planned vegetarian diet will fulfill the food and nurtition needs of children while also providing specific health benefits. Children need a diet that is varied and rich in good sources of protein, vitamins and minerals.
This collection of vegetarian meals for kids are loaded with vegetables that are high in fiber, all of which is believed to improve cardiovascular health by lowering blood cholesterol and keeping a healthy weight.
Vegetarian Recipes and Ideas
So, you know you want to prepare more plant-based meals for your children during the week, but will they actually eat and enjoy them?
They sure will! Browse the simple and tasty vegetarian meal ideas for kids below with your children and let them pick which meals they want to try.
Then, rest easy knowing that they’ve picked a balanced meatless meal idea that the entire family will likely love.
Here are 30 of the absolute best vegetarian meals for kids that kids actually enjoy eating.
30 Popular Vegetarian Meals For Kids
All of the recipes we’ve chosen are vegetarian meals for kids that are quick to make and don’t use any fancy ingredients; just delicious, family-friendly, vegetarian choices.
1. Veggie Lovers Baked Rigatoni: You can never go wrong with pasta and this veggie lovers baked rigatoni does not disappoint. This will quickly become one of your go to vegetarian-meals for kids. (Visit Build Your Bite for the complete recipe)
2. Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas: If the kids love enchiladas they are going to go crazy for this quick and easy vegetarian version that uses sweet potato and black beans. (Visit Tastes Better from Scratch for the recipe)
3. Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza: What kid doesn’t love pizza? This Mediterranean pizza is a great easy choice because you can easily customize the toppings for even the pickiest eaters including veggie toppings you know they will want to eat. (Visit Midwest Foodie Blog for the recipe)
4. Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie: This childhood comfort food uses lentils instead of meat so it’s loaded with protein, vitamins and minerals. (Visit Chelsea’s Messy Apron for the recipe)
5. Extra Veggie Fried Rice: This extra veggie fried rice is quick and easy and makes for the perfect dinner for a picky eater. Load it with as many vegetables your picky eater likes to eat to load it full of vitamins and minerals. (Visit Cookie and Kate for the recipe)
6. Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese: This healthy version of traditional mac n cheese uses butternut squash to create a velvety cheese sauce. This is one of those vegetarian meals for kids the family will beg you to make over and over again. It’s really that good. (Visit Feel Good Foodie for the recipe)
7. Veggie Lasagna: Loaded with vegetables this veggie lasagna is a perfect weeknight supper idea for even the pickiest kids. This is one of those vegetarian meals for kids that reheats well for lunches so make extra in anticipation of eating it throughout the week. (Visit Wendy Polisi for the recipe)
8. Chickpea Vegetable Nuggets: How good do these look? These chickpea vegetable nuggets are an easy way to sneak protein packed chick peas into a child’s diet. (Visit The Natural Nurturer for the recipe)
9. Creamy Vegetable Pot Pie: Loaded with vegetables like broccoli, peas and carrots this vegetarian version of a traditional chicken pot pie is a hearty weeknight supper idea that doesn’t disappoint. What we love most about this recipe is that you can switch up the vegetables and include more of what the kids like to eat and less of what they don’t. (Visit Simply Delicious Food for the recipe)
10. Crispy Chick Pea Gyros: These chick pea gyros are a quick and easy plant based protein dinner that the whole family will love. (Visit Midwest Foodie for the recipe)
11. Best Black Bean Burgers: Veggie burgers can be delicious and these black bean burgers are proof. What we love most about this vegetarian dinner recipe is how quick and easy it is to prepare.(Visit Sally’s Baking Addiction for the recipe)
12. Vegetarian Quesadillas: Quesadilla’s are a great vegetarian meal for picky eaters because you can load it with as many vegetables as the kids love eating. Quesadillas are a mom approved vegetarian dinner idea because they are versatile, really quick to prepare and above all healthy. (Visit Erhardts Eat for the recipe)
13. Cauliflower Potato Soup With Peas: On cold nights this quick and easy cauliflower potato soup with peas is a great kid-friendly vegetarian dinner idea. Load it with extra vegetables like carrots, spinach and even broccoli to pack even more nutrition into every spoonful. (Visit Running on Real Food for the recipe)
14. Vegetable Pastina: This childhood comfort food is really simple to prepare and will quickly become a kid approved vegetarian recipe that will be on repeat in your home. Tiny star shaped pasta called Pastina are cooked in a vegetable stock loaded with as many vegetables as you like. (Visit Palatable Pastime for the recipe)
15. Best Ever Vegetarian Chili: Veggie Chili is another top kid friendly vegetarian dinner idea because you can pack it with a ton of plant protein and vegetables. Offer the kids some tortillas to scoop up their chili to make it more fun. (Visit The Kitchn for the recipe)
16. Vegetarian Croque Monsieur: This vegetarian twist on an old classic is a perfect plant based dinner idea for kids when you’re not in the mood to make something elaborate or complicated. Quick and easy, this vegetarian supper idea for kids can be made with all your child’s favorite vegetables. (Visit Helpful Homemade for the recipe)
17. Spanish Omelet: A vegetarian omelet is another excellent choice for picky eaters. We especially love this kid friendly vegetarian supper because you can load it with as many or as few vegetables as you want and know the kids will eat. (Visit Healthy Little Foodies for the recipe)
18. Mini Carrot Corndogs: These totally vegetarian corn dogs are a great veggie dinner or lunch idea for kids. Soaking baby carrots in a soy-based marinade makes the final product incredibly delicious and a real treat for kids any night of the week! (Visit Fork In The Kitchen for the recipe)
19. Olive Garden Vegan Gnocchi Soup: If one pot wonders are your thing then this kid-friendly vegetarian soup recipe is a must try. Creamy, savory and loaded with gnocchi this is vegetarian comfort food at its best. (Visit Midwest Foodie Blog for the recipe)
20. Vegetarian Chili Mac: If traditional chili mac is a favorite in your home then this vegetarian chili mac is a must try. This quick and easy veggie dinner idea comes together in less than 30 minutes and is loaded with a ton of plant protein from beans. (Visit Cozy Peach Kitchen for the recipe)
21. Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna: This delicious kid friendly vegetarian dinner idea is loaded with creamy butternut squash puree, ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella making it an ooey gooey comfort food perfect for cozy nights in. (Visit Julia’s Album for the recipe)
22. Lentil Bolognese: Lentils are the star of the show in this plant-based dinner idea for kids. This alternative to traditional Bolognese is healthy, delicious and meat free making it the perfect veggie meal idea for kids. (Visit Choosing Chia for the recipe)
23. Vegan Jambalaya with Beans: If your kids like southern flavors then this vegan Jambalaya with beans is a great kid friendly vegetarian recipe to try. What we love most about this plant-based meal idea is how versatile it is. You can easily add more of what the kids love to eat to make it even more kid-friendly. (Visit Vegan Heaven for the recipe)
24. General Tso’s Cauliflower Recipe: This quick and easy general Tso’s Cauliflower recipe is perfect for nights when you are craving take out! This vegetarian dinner idea is so good the kids wont even realize they are eating cauliflower bites. (Visit The Kitchen for the recipe)
25. Vegan Tater Tot Green Bean Casserole: Kids love tater tots and so naturally they are going to love this quick and easy vegan tater tot green bean casserole. This kid friendly vegetarian supper idea is ideal for busy weeknights when you need to get something on the table really quick. (Visit Cozy Peach Kitchen for the recipe)
26. Spaghetti and “Veggeballs”: Spaghetti is the ultimate kid friendly vegetarian dinner idea. Make these veggieballs ahead of time, freeze them to cook up a quick sauce when you’re stuck for time or the kids are being extra picky. (Visit The Hidden Veggies for the recipe)
27. Broccoli Cheddar Calzone: Loaded with broccoli and cheddar cheese these quick and easy broccoli Calzone’s are a delicious kid friendly vegetarian supper idea that kids wont have a hard time devouring. Make a large quantity and freeze them to be reheated for quick and easy lunches and suppers. (Visit Hangry White Male for the recipe)
28. Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs: This is comfort food at its absolute finest. This delicious vegetarian dinner idea for kids turns an old classic into a delicious vegetarian dinner idea that kids will happily gobble up. (Visit Pinch Of Yum for the recipe)
29. Healthy Zucchini Meatballs: Have a stash of zucchini meatballs in the freezer for quick and easy lunch and supper ideas. These zucchini meatballs are great for preparing veggieball subs and sandwiches. (Visit Shugary Sweets for the recipe)
30. Veggie Pizza Roll Ups: If the kids love pizza then these veggie pizza roll ups are a must try. Quick and easy, this is a great kid approved vegetarian supper idea that loads a ton of healthy good for you vegetables into a pizza dough roll up. (Visit A Mummy Too for the recipe)
What Are You Cooking For Supper Tonight?
Vegetarianism can be a healthier option for your child if they are open to consuming a variety of foods, such as vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, and whole grains. And, that’s precisely what the vegetarian meal ideas we opted to incorporate in this kid-friendly vegetarian dinner guide do.
We created this list to help parents of picky eaters incorporate more vegetarian kid-friendly dinner ideas into their meal plans. This collection of top vegetarian meal ideas for kids was curated specifically because they are nutritiously balanced, quick to prepare and above all delicious.
We hope that these vegetarian meal ideas for kids make meal time easier at your house!
Even More Meatless Ideas We Handpicked For You:
- 75 Kid Approved Meatless Supper Ideas The Whole Family Will Enjoy
- 7 Super Healthy Veggie Spiralized Recipes You Need To Try
- 18 Delicious Ways To Prepare Salmon For Dinner
Please share this post before you go. Click here to save these quick and easy vegetarian meals for kids to your favorite kid friendly recipe board on Pinterest.