Use these gourmet grilled cheese recipes to transform your classic grilled cheese into an irresistible fancy grilled cheese sandwich you can enjoy any day of the week.
Did you know that April is National grilled cheese month?
Who knew that there was an entire month devoted to this delicious sandwich!? In honor of this momentous occasion, we’ve rounded up over 40 gourmet grilled cheese recipes that are sure to take your taste buds on a wild ride.
Whether you prefer to call them grilled cheese sammies, a toasted sandwich or even a cheese toastie we know that grilled cheese is one of America’s most beloved lunch and dinner foods.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a classic comfort food. Paired with your favorite tomato soup recipe a grilled cheese is a classic American favorite.
A great easy lunch or simple dinner choice, most people think of a grilled cheese sandwich as nothing more than American cheese on white bread.
But gourmet grilled cheese recipes are taking this classic cheese sandwich and giving it a gourmet makeover.
Quick and easy dinners are our jam so we couldn’t help but add a solid collection of grilled cheeses to our repertoire of simple dinner ideas for families including young kids. Grilled cheese sandwiches are so versatile you can make them in a cast iron skillet, on a Blackstone griddle or even in the oven.
Plus, we just love how easy it is to transform a classic grilled cheese into a fancy meal with only a few tweaks. From adding interesting and different cheeses to experimenting with different types of bread, there are endless ways to upgrade your regular grilled cheese into something truly unique and delicious.
With the right ingredients and recipes, grilled cheese sandwiches can be elevated to new heights.
In this post, we collected over 40 gourmet grilled cheese recipes that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you wanting more. So fire up your skillet (oven works too!) and get ready for some amazing grilled cheese goodness.
Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipes
What Makes A Grilled Cheese Gourmet?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question since gourmet grilled cheese recipes can differ greatly in terms of ingredients and tastes.
Some critical components that may make the best grilled cheese sandwich gourmet include using high-quality ingredients, adding distinct tastes, textures, flavors and experimenting with different types of breads and combination of cheeses available from your grocery store.
By enhancing your standard grilled cheese sandwich with gourmet ingredients, you can take this classic dish to new and exciting places.
There are endless possibilities and every one is delicious!
Related: 17 Best Gourmet Hot Dogs You Need To Try
Gourmet Grilled Cheese Ingredients For The Perfect Grilled Cheese
The best gourmet grilled cheese recipes are a combination of different cheeses , gourmet breads, and creative toppings like fruits, cured meats, grilled vegetables and unique spreads. By mixing and matching these fun ideas and gourmet ingredients, you can create grilled cheese sandwich recipes that are uniquely your own.
Buttered and then toasted in a cast iron skillet, on a baking sheet or even in an Air Fryer until your bread slices are golden brown and cheese is melty, gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches are always a hit!
Here are some of our favorite gourmet grilled cheese ingredients to get you started. All of these bread and cheese options are available either online or at your local grocery store.
Types Of Cheese:
- Monterey Jack
- Sharp Cheddar cheese
- White Cheddar cheeses
- Cream cheese
- Goat cheese
- Swiss cheese
- Gruyere cheese
- Muenster cheese
- Blue cheese
Types Of Bread:
- Sourdough bread
- Garlic bread
- Hot dog bun
- White sandwich bread
- Challah bread
- Hawaiian sweet bread
- Potato bread
- Rye bread
- French bread
- Olive bread
The Ultimate Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipes
1. Roasted Red Peppers and Provolone Grilled Cheese
This incredible and tasty grilled cheese is made with provolone cheese, roasted red peppers and sautéed mushrooms. Toasted up to perfection in a skillet this fancy grilled cheese sandwich from Midget Momma is perfect for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
2. Blackberry & Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese
Tangy goat cheese pairs beautifully with a lightly sweetened homemade blackberry compote in this fancy grilled cheese from Sara Lee Bread. This is one of those gourmet grilled cheese recipes that is the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
3. Cheesy Vegan Spinach Pesto Grilled Cheese – Peas and Crayons
4. Prosciutto Provolone Fig Grilled Cheese – Whitney Bond
5. Pear Apple Cheddar Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Bagel Sandwich – The Roasted Root
6. Apple Bacon and Cheddar Grilled Cheese -Britney Breaks Bread
7. Brie & Green Apple Grilled Cheese
Thinly sliced green apples are layered with sliced brie and prosciutto and sandwiched between two slices of perfectly toasted sourdough bread. A thin layer of fig jam adds the perfect amount of sweetness to this gourmet grilled cheese sandwich from We Are Not Martha.
*Tip: place sliced apples in a little water with lemon juice to prevent your apple slices from browning.
8. Broccoli Rabe Grilled Cheese With Green Harissa
Dolly and Oatmeal created a delicious gluten free and vegan grilled cheese sandwich loaded with flavor from broccoli rabe and green Harissa. Swap out the gluten free bread and vegan cheese for your favorite cheese and crispy bread to create a non vegan version of this delicious cheese melt.
9. Grilled Cheese Sloppy Joes – Adventures of Mel
10. Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Simply Stacie
11. Pizza Grilled Cheese – Piper Cooks
12. Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese – Grilled Cheese Social
13. Fancy Grilled Cheese With Pickled Red Onions and Apples
The tangy flavor of homemade picked red onions and apples takes this gourmet grilled cheese from Kikkoman to the next level. Add in a few of your favorite American or cheddar cheese slices and toast this sandwich up until the bread is golden brown and the cheese bubbly and melted. Enjoy with a side of potato chips for a quick and easy lunch.
14. Smoked Salmon, Goat Cheese & Dill Grilled Cheese
This gourmet grilled cheese from Evelina’s Home Cooking has all of the flavors of a classic bagel and lox but in grilled cheese form! Smoked salmon, shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese, cream cheese, dill and thin sliced tomatoes are grilled low and slow until perfectly golden bread and melty cheese are achieved.
15. Pizza Grilled Cheese – Spaceships & Laser Beams
16. Dill Pickle Grilled Cheese – Tao Of Spice
17. Bruschetta Grilled Cheese – Something About Sandwiches
18. Mac n Cheese Grilled Cheese – 4 Sons R Us
19. Gourmet Grilled Cheese With Jam
The combination of toasted bread, gooey cheese, and sweet and smoky maple bacon jam is simply wonderful in this gourmet grilled cheese from The Recipe Rebel. Cheddar is suggested but the best cheese to use in this sandwich really comes down to your personal preference.
*Tip: use a food processor or magic bullet to puree your jam for easy spreading.
20. Spinach and Tomato Grown Up Grilled Cheese
Loaded with melty cheese, spinach and tomato this fancy grilled cheese sandwich from Peas and Crayons is perfect for dunking into your favorite creamy tomato soup.
21. Grilled Cheese With Fried Egg
For a gourmet twist on the classic grilled cheese and tomato soup combo, add a fried egg to your sandwich like they did over at Great Grub, Delicious Treats. Colby and Pepper jack cheese and Texas toast are used in this version but again, feel free to use any type of cheese and bread that you like. We like to spread dijon mustard on our remaining slice of bread for a little extra punch.
22. Pesto, Artichoke, and Havarti Grilled Cheese
This grown up grilled cheese sandwich from Two Peas and Their Pod is bursting with bold flavors. A slice of Havarti (okay more like 2 or 3 slices) are layered with pesto and artichokes and grilled up until the outside of the bread has a golden exterior and is crispy. Serve with your favorite soup to bulk up this meal.
23. Smoked Meat Brisket Grilled Cheese – Spiced
24. Italian Sausage Grilled Cheese – Something About Sandwiches
25. Balsamic Blueberry Grilled Cheese -Amanda K. By The Bay
26. Gourmet Grilled Cheese with Brie, Raspberry, and Apple – XO and So
27. Turkey Bacon and Avocado Grilled Cheese
A creative variation on a classic sandwich. This Turkey Bacon Avocado Grilled Cheese from Tidy Mom is grilled until golden and gooey. Loaded with fresh basil, tomato, mozzarella cheese, turkey and bacon you’ll fall in love after the first bite.
28. Honey Banana Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Simply Stacie
29. Grilled Ham & Brie Grilled Cheese – Girl Heart Food
30. Caramelized Onion & Apple Grilled Cheese – Cozy Cravings
31. Gouda & Honeycrisp Apple Grilled Cheese – Modern Honey
32. Gourmet Grilled Cheese With Bacon
Lemon Tree Dwelling knocks it out of the park with this gourmet grilled cheese that is oozing with cheesy goodness, crisp bacon, spicy jalapenos and blackberry jam. The best bread for this hearty grilled cheese is a thickly sliced sourdough. You need a sturdy bread to hold up to all of those delicious fillings.
33. Prosciutto, Raspberry and Brie Grilled Cheese – Pumpkin N Spice
34. Brie, Bacon and Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Heather Christo
35. Grilled Cheese Hot Dogs – The Baker Mama
36. Maple Bacon Grilled Cheese – Don’t Go Bacon My Heart
37. Pizza Margherita Grilled Cheese
If you love the fresh flavors of a Margherita pizza then you’ve got to try this fancy grilled cheese from Cooking For Keeps. Loaded with the familiar flavors of a good quality Margherita this sandwich is just dripping in your favorite gooey cheeses.
38. Tomato Bacon and Crab Grilled Cheese – Will Cook For Smiles
39. Tuna Melt Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Ahead of Thyme
40. Maple Whisky Bacon Grilled Cheese – Olivia’s Cuisine
41. Pumpkin, Chocolate, and Brie Grilled Cheese -Two Peas and Their Pod
Frequently Asked Questions To Make Grilled Cheese
How do I make grilled cheese more interesting?
Making a grilled cheese more interesting is simply a matter of adding some flair from different toppings and fillings. Pick your favorite type of cheese and experiment with different gourmet breads. You can also add in some unique toppings to really take your grilled cheese sandwich to the next level. Consider using butter or olive oil infused with fresh herbs to add an extra gourmet touch and lots of flavor to your hot sandwich.
How do you make gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches?
A perfect fancy grilled cheese sandwich has golden toasty bread and gooey, melty cheese on the inside. The secret to a perfectly cooked gourmet grilled cheese sandwich is cooking your sandwich low and slow so the outside pieces of bread have the time to get perfectly crisp and golden while the cheese on the inside has the time to melt and become oozy and delicious.
How do you gourmet grilled cheese without a grill?
You don’t need a grill to enjoy gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches! You can make these gourmet sandwiches right in your kitchen using a stove top skillet or even a baking sheet by preheating your oven to 400 degrees f. All you need is some gourmet bread, butter and your favorite type of sliced or shredded cheese.
- Step 1: Heat a skillet to medium heat or medium-low heat if your stove runs hot
- Step 2: Butter the outside slices of your gourmet bread
- Step 3: Add in your favorite cheeses and layer with your toppings
- Step 4: Place your uncooked sandwich buttered side down in your hot skillet
- Step 5: Cook for 2-3 minutes until the outside of the sandwich is golden brown and cheese is melted. Flip and brown the second side. Reduce heat if necessary to prevent the slices of bread from browning too quickly.
- Step 6: Serve hot and enjoy!
What can I add to grilled cheese to make it better?
Transforming a classic grilled cheese into one of these gourmet grilled cheese recipes involves adding some unique toppings, spreads or dressing. You’re basically looking to stuff your sandwich full of delicious ingredients like fruits, nuts, cured meats, vegetables, jams and spreads.
Make your grilled cheese sandwich even better by loading it full of delicious ingredients you love. Think cured meats, savory spreads, roasted or pickled vegetables, fruit jams, spicey preserves and so much more.
Do you have any other quick and easy supper ideas?
Yes we do. We love quick and easy meals to make meal times simple and hassle free for families. Here are some of our favorite quick and easy meal ideas.
- Ground beef suppers: budget friendly and simple to make these ground beef suppers are a hit with kids
- Fancy hot dogs: transform your traditional hot dog into a fancy supper with these gourmet hot dogs
- Blackstone Recipes: simple and delicious meals you can make on a flat-top griddle
- Meal sized soups: loaded soups are a great meal choice when you’re looking for something cozy and hassle free
- Simple side dishes that pair beautifully with classic meals like chicken alfredo, fish, chicken parm, BBQ chicken, Sloppy Joe’s
- Casseroles: cheap and easy to meal prep casseroles are a great simple meal idea for families
- 10 Minute Meals: suppers that come together in under 10 minutes are perfect for busy school nights
- Crock pot meals: set it and forget it with these delicious slow cooker supper ideas
- Foil pack dinners: fire up the grill and create a healthy dinner with only a few minutes of prep
- 5-ingredient dinners: simple and delicious these low ingredient dinners are a great choice for anyone who wants to prepare something simple
- Weeknight dinner ideas: busy school nights loaded with extra-curriculars? no problem with these simple school night suppers
- No cook dinners: so delicious and so easy these dinner ideas require zero cooking
- Vegetarian suppers: quick and easy meatless meals the whole family will enjoy
- Instant pot dinners: we love using our instant pot to create hassle free quick and easy meals and pasta dishes.
- Air fryer dinners: some of our favorite quick and easy recipes you can prep in an air fryer
What are the best cheese combinations to use for grilled cheese Sandwiches?
The best cheese combinations for gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches are cheeses that get melty and oeey gooey delicious when heated.
We love using combinations of American cheeses (Cheddar, Colby) with cheeses that are notorious for melting well when they get heated and bubbly hot. Cheeses like gouda, brie and gruyere are some of our favorites.
What are the best toppings for grilled cheese?
Taking your classic grilled cheese sandwich to the next level is all about getting creative with your toppings. An easy way to do this is to consider adding in some gourmet ingredients like thinly sliced fruit, roasted vegetables, caramelized onions, green onion, crispy bacon, peanut butter, crumbled sausage, avocado, hot sauce, jam or even a fried egg. The possibilities are endless!
We hope you are as excited about these gourmet grilled cheese sandwich recipes as we are. This collection of gourmet grilled cheese recipes transform traditional cheese melts into gourmet sandwiches that are sure to impress.
We love these simple recipes because they are easy to make and can be customized to fit your taste.
Be sure to experiment with different types of gourmet breads and different cheese options to find your favorite combination when making a grilled cheese recipe. And don’t forget the toppings!
So what are you waiting for? Get cooking!
What is your favorite recipes for gourmet grilled cheese? Let us know in the comments below by leaving your name and email address.
1 thought on “40+ Best Ultimate Fancy Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipes”
What a wonderful and thorough list of delicious grilled cheeses! I can’t wait to try a whole bunch of them!